School Logo

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Siddington C of E Primary School?

Provision for each child is met on an individual basis. Some children will have support in class; others will be withdrawn for short periods to cover individual work, while some will work on a differentiated curriculum in groups.


Class Teacher input:

Teachers endeavour to provide excellent classroom practice.

- The class teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class

- Teaching will be based on building what your child already knows, can do and can understands

- Different techniques and ways of teaching are utilised to fully involve children in their learning in class (e.g. more practical learning)

- Specific strategies are in place to support your child to learn – these may have been suggested by the SENDCo or outside agencies.

- Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked your child’s progress and will have decided how to meet gaps in learning to help them make the best progress possible.


Specific Group work with a smaller group of children

- These groups are called intervention groups or social groups

- They can be run in the classrooms or outside

- They can be run by a teacher or teaching assistant

- Your child will engage in the group session with specific targets to help them make more progress

- Sometimes an external professional will guide or run these groups


Specified Individual support

- This can be provided in a classroom setting or outside of the classroom

- This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or a Education, Health and Care Plan, although other children may be considered

- Children who receive this level of support have been identified by the class teacher, SENDCo and outside agencies to need a particularly high level of support

- Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school - e.g. Advisory Teaching Service, Educational Psychologist

- For your child is would mean a request to the local authority for a EHC Plan or Statutory Assessment

- Once a EHC Plan is in place it would outline the type of support required and how the school will deliver this support.